Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Day 4: Triacastela to Sarria


We walked out into more miles of beauty. 


Keeping a watchful eye for the scallop shell or yellow arrow that marks the path. This one wasn't too hard to miss.


We will walk lots of steps today. Our feet will sometimes hurt. Even when we look down at them, we will see signs of God's presence.




The space and time gives us a chance to think about our lives. St. Ignatius created a good prayer to do this every day. It is called the Examen. 


"I quiet my mind and my heart for prayer. I believe in God's presence with me. . ."


"I offer gratitude to God for the blessings of the day and begin by savoring my gifts."


"I review the events of the day noticing the feelings that surface: my hopes, fears, regrets, joys and sorrows."


"I pray from the feelings that surface: talking to God as a friend, listening with my heart for God's response of love."


"I look forward in hope, asking for the grace to better serve God. Amen."


We continue on. It seems we have been walking a long time.


There it is in the distance! Sarria! A sight for sore feet!


We climb many steps in Sarria to go to Mass at St. Marina's.



After Mass, we have some delicious, four-cheese pizza. The Galicia region of Spain is known for its cheeses. John surprises Luke with a Swiss army knife. The end of another good day.

3 comments:

  1. Loving re-living this experience through your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria, reading your blog from beginning to end this evening is my Examen prayer this evening. Reflecting back on the graces of our journey in gratitude, images & feelings flooding back, listening for God's voice and praying the life lessons will flow forward in the days, months and years ahead of us! Praying a special prayer of gratitude for the gift of our friendship tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Peggy! I am looking at the photos along with you and it is transporting me back too. I wish we were there but am trying to take the lessons of the Camino-especially, recently, the lessons of its beauty--and find the beauty here at home. So grateful to you and and God for your friendship!

    ReplyDelete